Chicken Noodle Soup
Is there anything more classic than homemade chicken noodle soup? The perfect comfort food, this soup will fill your belly and warm your soul. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 1 hour 30 minutes to cook, yielding 12 cups of soup. Follow the directions below to make a great chilly night dish for your family!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lb. carrots
- 1/2 bunch celery
- Rotisserie chicken breast
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 whole bay leaf
- A pinch of freshly cracked pepper
- 2-3 tsp. salt
- 6 oz. egg noodles
- 8 cups water
1. Mince the garlic and dice the onion. Add the onion, garlic, and olive oil to a large pot and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and transparent.
2. While the garlic and onion are sautéing, wash and slice the carrots and celery. Add them to the pot and continue to sauté for a few more minutes.
3. Cut up the rotisserie chicken into small pieces and add it to the pot. Add the bay leaf, basil, parsley, thyme, freshly cracked pepper, and water.
4. Cover the pot, bring it to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour. Make sure the pot continues to simmer. The chicken will not shred easily if the heat is turned down too low.
5. Remove the chicken from the pot. Using two forks, lightly shred the chicken.
6. Season the broth with salt. Begin with one teaspoon and add more, seasoning to taste.
7. Add the noodles. Turn the heat to high, and boil the noodles for about 7 minutes, or until tender. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Taste and season again with salt if needed.
8. Serve hot and enjoy!
We will be adding a new soup recipe to our website every Saturday this month! Click here to see the others.
Don’t have the time to prepare homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? No worries! Swing by your local Market Basket to pick up a refrigerated cup of this family favorite, or get a freshly made hot bowl from Market’s Kitchen!