Slow Cooker Recipes
Cold weather is here, so it's time to chow down on warm and delicious meals. What better way to make dinner than using your trusty slow cooker? Prep in the morning and be ready to eat by the evening. You know what this means: more time to relax and marathon through all of your favorite shows!
Here are three great recipes you can make with your slow cooker.
Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies - Simple and Delicious!
- 8 bone-in, chicken thighs with the skin left on
- 16 ounces baby red potatoes, halved
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- 16 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and ground black pepper.
2. Place the chicken thighs, baby red potatoes, baby carrots, and soy sauce mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours. If you're using the high heat setting, then cook for 3-4 hours, basting every hour. Add in green beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
3. Serve while hot garnished with parsley if desired.
Black Bean Soup - Protein-Packed, Vegan, and Gluten-Free!
- 1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker, and stir to combine.
2. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours, or on high heat for 3-4 hours, until all of the vegetables are cooked and tender. Remove the bay leaf.
3. Serve the soup warm, and garnished with your desired toppings. Some yummy topping options include: parmesan cheese, tortilla chips, diced avocado, sour cream, or cilantro.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers-
Hearty, Protein/Fiber-Packed. Easy and Effortless with So Much Flavor!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (can be substituted with ground turkey)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (can be substituted with quinoa)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or substitute with any bean of your choice)
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen, canned, or roasted)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup salsa, homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed, and seeded
1. Lightly coat the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, 1 cup cheese, black beans, corn, cilantro, salsa, cumin, and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon this filling into each bell pepper.
3. Place peppers into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or on high heat for 2-3 hours. The peppers should be tender and the meat should be cooked through.
4. Uncover and top the peppers with the reserved 1/2 cup cheese. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
5. Serve immediately, and drizzle with some sour cream if desired.
Sounds delicious? Come over to your nearest Market Basket for fresh ingredients to make these recipes!