How to Make Pizza Dough From Scratch
Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Maybe you want to impress your loved ones with a from-scratch pizza party?
We always have great items on sale at your local Market Basket, but this week we have a special one that we want to highlight – Tipo "00" flour! This flour is the finest grade of flour milled in Italy with a consistency similar to that of baby powder. It's considered the gold standard of flours!
If you've never made pizza dough from scratch before, it can be a bit intimidating! Here are some quick and easy directions to help you ace it on your first try:
- 4 Cups Tipo "00" Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water (Approximate)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Mix the ingredients together, forming a soft dough.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Then, knead by hand for 7 to 8 minutes until smooth.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Here comes the fun part! Punch the dough in order to remove the gas. Then, divide it into 4 equal sized balls.
- Cover the balls of dough and let sit for 60 minutes.
- Shape the dough by pressing a ball into a disc shape.
- Lightly flour the top and bottom then gently press and pull the dough with your fingertips, turning it often to create a 10-inch circle.
- Top with your choice of ingredients, cook, and serve!
A pizza as great as this deserves only the best toppings, so be sure to stop by your local Market Basket for all the veggies, meats, and cheeses!