Kale and Chourico Soup
Kale and chourico soup is a variation of Portugal's national soup, caldo verde. With a smell just as delicious as the taste, this classic Portuguese recipe makes 6 servings.
- 1 cups fresh small head cabbage, chopped
- 5 cups Market Basket chicken stock
- 1 lb. Chourico
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1.5 lbs. baby white skin potatoes, diced
- 1 can Market Basket kidney beans
- 1 can Market Basket red beans
- Salt and black pepper
1. Thinly slice or dice the chourico.
2. Wash all of your vegetables and drain the beans. Chop, mince, or dice the ingredients as outlined by the ingredients list.
3. In a large pot, bring 1 tbsp. or olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Salt to taste.
4. Cook the onion and garlic until softened, about 4 minutes.
5. Add the diced potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes, making sure the potatoes are cooked through.
6. For a thicker broth, remove half of the potatoes and mash them lightly with a fork until smooth. Add them back to the pot.
7. Add the chourico, kidney beans, red beans, kale, and cabbage to the pot.
8. Return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!
We will be adding a new soup recipe to our website every Saturday this month! Click here to see the others.
Don’t have the time to prepare homemade Kale and Chourico Soup? No worries! Swing by your local Market Basket to pick up a refrigerated cup of this family favorite, or get a freshly made hot bowl from Market’s Kitchen!